Friday, December 28, 2007

Back At the Ranch...

Dear Mom,

Good day at work, we were busy at the Bluffton Store, hunters came by for BBQ sandwiches, subs, pizzas and snuff (nice combination, huh? No wonder they also ask for Tums). Some asked for beer but since we we don't sell it I had to send them away thirsty. Usually between fishing and hunting season it's dead as a hammer and I get so bored I could spit (but I don't-you know who'd have to clean it up).


Once when I was working at Skinny's (convenience store in Llano) I did an impolite but quite justifiable thing. The manager and I were standing outside talking on a slow night, he was having a cigarette, I wasn't. A customer, a cowboy-type-you can't tell, there are a lot of real cowboys around here-got out of his truck and was walking toward the front door. I was expounding on some subject so my mouth was going a mile a minute, and the cowboy passed in front of us and a bit to the side. About 6 feet in front of us he spat (tobacco juice) in a nice juicy stream on the sidewalk and kept walking. Without skipping a beat in my monologue, I said, "...AND THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR SPITTING ON MY SIDEWALK..." and continued talking. The manager, in his sardonic, thoughtful, quiet way, raised an eyebrow and I asked, "What?!!!". He said, "Now there's a repeat customer if I ever saw one". I replied, "You do know, especially in this day and age, that saliva is considered a biohazardous material?". I checked the guy out at the register, he paid for $75 in diesel fuel and I glared at him. My guess is he wasn't coming back. Then I cleaned the sidewalk. Asshole.


Don keeps trying to get me interested in fantasy/science fiction and every once in awhile a book is kind of interesting. I'm reading a trilogy by Mercedes Lackey and Larry Dixon called Darian's Tale. It's alright, something to read in bed until I'm sleepy but no great shakes. I just can't seem to "let go" and get into a fantasy tale. I used to be a voracious reader but am very stingy with my time now. I like and need to work and the rest of the time is spent caring for myself and others and working on the computer. All yardwork has been suspended, I really enjoy totally ignoring the outdoors until spring.


It's hard to believe that a week after the fact, my jaw still hurts where the dentist injected the anaesthetic to crown my tooth. I don't think he's very good, at least with needles. I'm still taking several doses of ibuprofen and acetaminaphen a day, otherwise the area hurts and sends referred pain into the trigeminal nerve and on to the nerves in the back of my head and neck. Very annoying. I'm going to call the dentist that Nee Cee goes to and really likes, Dr. Kim Murray and ask if she has a waiting list, she's not taking new patients at this time. I have another tender tooth, but this guy's not getting any more of my business.


And yes, I do feel cranky tonight. Hmph.


I love you,


Lisa

No comments: