Thursday, January 10, 2008

Value of Time

Dear Mom,

My favorite line when referring to the value of time is; "There's no luggage rack on a hearse".

Time is all we have that's truly ours. We were born with it and we have an unspecified amount of it until we don't anymore. No amount of money can buy it, but we can lose it by doing what we hate and people can steal it by lying to us or using us. We have to maximize the time we spend doing what we like (and hopefully find a way to get paid for it.) Choosing how to spend time, and giving time to people I care about is a pleasure and a privilege.

I don't have to be slapped hard to stop giving, all it takes is the expectation that the time given is someone's by right and that makes me start backing away so that person can get on their own feet. If they follow and demand more, it's time to run away.

I hope you don't think less of me, but I give nothing to charities. Organized charities, that is, with bureaucracies, staffs and budgets. I think that the 'business' of charity is just that, business-not charity, and I will not be blackmailed into giving to people who spend a lifetime doing as they damn well please and then whining about it. Besides, most of the people who administer the "charity" do so either for a generous salary, political gain, public recognition, socializing or all of the above.

I'm in decent shape only because I live a disciplined life. I would be in a hospital bed within weeks if I didn't behave, and then they'd finish me off by feeding me wheat, corn, milk and nightshade vegetables. When I see people collecting for charity I'm tempted to ask them how much they think anyone ever rounded up for the Lisa Fund.

It's my time, I'll try to use it wisely.

I love you,

Lisa

No comments: